Wisconsin summer, right in your freezer.
Frozen Assets Blowout Sale
About Frozen Assets
We contract directly with local farms to grow certified organic vegetables that are picked at the peak of ripeness and then brought to the Farmshed kitchen. In the kitchen, we partner with shareholders and volunteers to process, freeze, and package the produce. November – March, Frozen Assets are distributed in 10 lb shares, once or twice a month to community members. Read all the details below!
Certified Organic CSA Farms Supported: Cattail Organics, Red Door Family Farm, Rising Sand Organics, Whitefeather Organics
Vegetables Frozen: Broccoli, Carrots, Cauliflower, Corn, Green Beans, Peppers, Potatoes, Summer Squash, Tomatoes, and Winter Squash (Butternut).
Sign Up: 2020/2021 Share Sign-up Form Coming Spring 2020!
- Full Share – 10 lbs twice per month (1lb of each vegetable listed above)
- 10 pick ups = 100 lbs total
- Half Share – 10 lbs once per month (1lb of each vegetable listed above)
- 5 pick ups = 50 lbs total
- Pick-ups November through March
- At Farmshed or Family Natural Foods
- 2019-2020 Frozen Assets Pick Up Schedule
Payment Options: Cash, Check, Credit (cardholder is responsible for processing fees-up to 3%)
How to Volunteer:
You can volunteer all summer long! Starting in mid July, volunteers work alongside our Kitchen Manager to process and freeze local veggies and anyone over 18 is welcome! Shifts are scheduled weekly on Wednesdays, Thursday, and Fridays and we just ask that you wear comfortable clean clothes (sorry, no tank tops!), close toed shoes, and a hat (or we will provide one).
To sign up for a volunteer shift, click here!
Benefits of being a Frozen Assets Volunteer:
Frozen Assest Shareholders will receive a $10 dollar rebate for every 3.5 hour shift, shorter shifts can be combined to receive rebate.
Farmshed Members will receive their choice of 2 bags of frozen produce (from current inventory) for every 3.5 hour shift, shorter shifts can be combined to receive bags.
Non-Members and Non-Shareholders will be entered into a monthly drawing to win 5lbs of frozen produce for every 3.5 hour shift. 2 winners will be drawn each month.
Why Frozen Assets:
- Frozen Assets Vegetables are free of additives and preservatives.
- Frozen Assets Vegetables are already prepped and ready to use.
- We only use top quality produce from certified organic CSA farms.
- Your purchase will support local farms and Farmshed programming.
- We utilize renewable solar energy to assist our food processing and storage.
Farmshed’s Frozen Assets Program was featured on WSAW’s Sunrise 7 – Farm to Fork Segment on February 13th, 2017. Check it out:
Why Farmshed Started Freezing Their Assets:
- Funding from the USDA Local Food Promotion Program in 2016 enabled us to finish the Farmshed Community Kitchen and develop a food processing model that will help sustain it long term.
- People have requested more ways to access local vegetables in the winter, due to Wisconsin’s short growing season.
- Working directly with farmers to set fair prices and contracting for product ahead of the season helps to build an equitable food system.
- In a 2015 community survey, 84% of responders reported that they were most interested in freezing as a preservation technique.
- Freezing food at peak ripeness preserves nutrients almost to the level of their fresh counterparts.
Take a look at Frozen Asset Newsletters to see recipes and past Farmshed updates!