Wisconsin summer, right in your freezer.
How to Sign Up:
Wondering how you can savor the tastes of summer even during the winter? Welcome to Frozen Assets, Farmshed’s frozen veggie program. We will freeze and package vegetables picked during the peak of ripeness and then distribute them to you all winter long.
Members and returning shareholders can register June 20, and the general public can register July 2.
Frozen Assest Shareholders will receive a $10 dollar rebate for every 3.5 hour shift, shorter shifts can be combined to receive rebate.
Farmshed Members will receive their choice of 2 bags of frozen produce (from current inventory) for every 3.5 hour shift, shorter shifts can be combined to receive bags.
Non-Members and Non-Shareholders will be entered into a monthly drawing to win 5lbs of frozen produce for every 3.5 hour shift. 2 winners will be drawn each month.
Why Frozen Assets:
- Frozen Assets Vegetables are free of additives and preservatives.
- Frozen Assets Vegetables are already prepped and ready to use.
- We only use top quality produce from certified organic CSA farms.
- Your purchase will support local farms and Farmshed programming.
- We utilize renewable solar energy to assist our food processing and storage.
How it works:
- Farmshed places orders in the spring with Certified Organic CSA partner farms from the Farm Fresh Atlas.
- Cattail Organics
- Red Door Family Farm
- Rising Sand Organics
- Whitefeather Organics
- Community members will be offered shares of Frozen Assets (a collection of vegetables that have been frozen at the peak of freshness), mimicking a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) model.
- A limited number of full (100 lbs of frozen vegetables) and half (50 lbs of frozen vegetables) shares will be available.
- As produce items come in throughout the growing season the Farmshed Kitchen Coordinator and willing members will break down, process, and package them into 1 lb bags.
- Participating shareholders that volunteer during processing will receive $10 off their share at the end of the season for each kitchen session worked.
- Shares will be available for member pick up starting mid-November and will go until late-March at two locations. Members also have the option to pick up all of their shares at once!
- Farmshed in Stevens Point
- Family Natural Foods in Wisconsin Rapids
3. Frozen Assets is also sold wholesale to local restaurants and organizations. Also available at The Market on Strongs in Stevens Point and Family Natural Foods in Wisconsin Rapids.
Broccoli, Carrots, Cauliflower, Corn, Green Beans, Peppers, Potatoes, Summer Squash, Tomatoes, and Winter Squash (Butternut).
- Full Share – 10 lbs every other week (1lb of each vegetable listed above)
- 10 pick ups = 100 lbs total
- Half Share – 10 lbs once per month (1lb of each vegetable listed above)
- 5 pick ups = 50 lbs total
- You can still enjoy Frozen Assets without signing up for a share! Stop by Farmshed or the Winter Farmers’ Market to see what products are available for purchase!
- Take a look at our retail price list here: Frozen Assets Price List
- FoodShare/EBT (contact Farmshed to learn more about this option)
Farmshed’s Frozen Assets Program was featured on WSAW’s Sunrise 7 – Farm to Fork Segment on February 13th, 2017. Check it out:
Why Farmshed Started Freezing Their Assets:
- Funding from the USDA Local Food Promotion Program in 2016 enabled us to finish the Farmshed Community Kitchen and develop a food processing model that will help sustain it long term.
- People have requested more ways to access local vegetables in the winter, due to Wisconsin’s short growing season.
- Working directly with farmers to set fair prices and contracting for product ahead of the season helps to build an equitable food system.
- In a 2015 community survey, 84% of responders reported that they were most interested in freezing as a preservation technique.
- Freezing food at peak ripeness preserves nutrients almost to the level of their fresh counterparts.
Take a look at Frozen Asset Newsletters to see recipes and past Farmshed updates!