AmeriCorps Service Opportunities
CLOSED POSITION: AmeriCorps Volunteer Coordinator Position (full time – 1700 hrs)
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED
Create meaningful and purposeful volunteer experiences within Farmshed and help further develop our volunteer program. This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience working with a local food/sustainability focused non-profit. Members will assist volunteers with planning and coordinating Farmshed’s programs and events including the Local Food Fair, Growing Collective, Farmer Tribute Dinner, Frozen Assets CSA and more! Please see below for details.
About Marshfield Clinic Health System AmeriCorps Volunteer Wisconsin:
AmeriCorps, often referred to as a domestic Peace Corps, places individuals within communities to spend a year of their life serving others. Marshfield Clinic Center for Community Outreach is a national service grantee that places individuals with host sites across Wisconsin. This program places individuals with nonprofit organizations to build and strengthen volunteer programs. Individuals will receive focused training in volunteer management then assist with such tasks as: recruiting, training and supervising volunteers; creating volunteer handbooks, application forms, and brochures; writing position descriptions; updating website content and coordinating social media; and other non-volunteer tasks specific to the mission of the nonprofit.
During a typical day of service at Central Rivers Farmshed the member may:
- Create meaningful and purposeful volunteer experiences within Farmshed
- Uphold the volunteer coordination processes including recruitment, training, supervision, tracking, maintaining, evaluating, and recognizing volunteers
- Maintain or create resources that make it easier for volunteers to get involved, such as hour tracking, position descriptions, program manuals, tasks in project management software, etc
- Plan and host quarterly volunteer orientations
- Participate in volunteer committees for events and programs (Local Food Fair, Growing Collective, Farmer Tribute Dinner, Frozen Assets CSA and more)
- Lead volunteers and interns, working closely with individuals or community groups (typical parters include UW-Stevens Point student organizations, Boys and Girls Club, etc.)
- Document volunteer participation through photos, stories, and a volunteer newsletter
- Assist with outreach and communications about Farmshed’s work
- Provide support to program staff on special projects and initiatives as needed
Qualifications and Necessary Skills:
- Compassion for and while serving people of all demographics
- Ability to take direction and work independently to complete a project
- Reliable, hard worker who is committed to making a difference in our community
- Must have an understanding and appreciation for community food systems
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate and network with community entities
- Be a competent user of Google Drive and social media outlets
Period of Service:
~36 hours per week beginning Monday, Sep, 2018 – August 30, 2019.
- $528.15 (gross before taxes) bi-weekly payroll for term of service
- Health & Dental Insurance – option to enroll with premium paid in full for member only
- Childcare assistance (if qualified)
- $5920.00 education award upon successful completion of the term of service
- Forbearance on qualified student loans and interest accrual payments while serving. (taxable)
- Service gear
- Work Experience and the development of highly sought job skills (initiative, interpersonal and intercultural communication, adaptability, collaboration and accountability)
Required Orientation & Training (expenses covered):
- September 11-14 – Member Orientation – WI Lions Camp, Rosholt, WI
- January 2-4 – MidTerm Training – Wisconsin Dells, WI
What it means to serve in AmeriCorps:
Applicants must be willing to serve for the duration of the term of service (1700 hours minimum), averaging approximately 36 hours a week. Members must also be able to handle the financial commitment made by accepting the position. Applicants must be 19 years of age by September 11, 2018, possess a high school diploma or GED/HSED, and agree to and pass a criminal and Department of Motor Vehicles background checks.
How to apply:
No longer accepting applications.
1/17/19 - Snow Ball Effect Event Series at the SPAC
Stevens Point Area Co-op, Stevens Point WI
2/9/2019 - Local Food Fair
SentryWorld, Stevens Point WI
2/12/2019 - Community Potluck "Peas Release Me"
Central Rivers Farmshed, Stevens Point WI