Members of Farmshed’s 12 person board are elected by the standing board of directors at the annual meeting in January. Board members play a crucial role in our organization. They assist in the development of and adherence to our strategic direction, act as advocates of our mission and work, and see to the fiscal responsibility of our organization. Below are specific roles and responsibilities of our board members.
- Make a concerted effort to attend all bi-monthly board meetings (last Wednesday of the month (with exception of Nov.), committee meetings and functions (as scheduled), such as special events.
- Attend the board and staff retreat (as scheduled).
- Be informed and enthusiastic about Farmshed’s mission, services, policies, and programs.
- Advocate on behalf of Farmshed by promoting our efforts to your existing networks.
- Review agenda, financials, and supporting materials prior to meetings.
- Serve on at least one committee or task force and offer to take on special assignments.
- Join Farmshed as a member and suggest membership to others in your networks.
- Make a personal financial contribution to Farmshed.
- Suggest possible nominees to the board who can make significant contributions to the work of the board and Farmshed.
- Keep up-to-date on developments in the local food/sustainable agriculture field.
- Follow conflict-of-interest and confidentiality policies.
- Refrain from making special requests of the staff, first address the Director.
- When volunteering for an event or program, please mind the direction of staff.
- Assist the board in carrying out its fiduciary responsibilities, such as reviewing Farmshed’s annual financial statements.
- To hire, evaluate, support, and fire the executive director.
- To develop agency policies governing human resource management and facilitate staff and client grievance issues.
- To review and accept the annual agency audit and submit Form 990 to the IRS.
- Accept fiduciary responsibility for the agency and assure the integrity of its financial records and reports.
- Develop a strategic plan for the agency and monitor compliance with the goals and objectives of the plan.
- Periodically review the agency’s compliance with its mission and values statements.
- Maintain records (minutes) of the boards activities and decisions.
- Represent the agency to its constituents with the advice and consent of the director.
- Serve on agency sub-committees and attend meetings as scheduled.
Interested in serving? Check back to see when applications will open for 2019. Thank you!
1/17/19 - Snow Ball Effect Event Series at the SPAC
Stevens Point Area Co-op, Stevens Point WI
2/9/2019 - Local Food Fair
SentryWorld, Stevens Point WI
2/12/2019 - Community Potluck "Peas Release Me"
Central Rivers Farmshed, Stevens Point WI