A new community initiative
Bulk purchasing from local farmers with an option to community process foods in the Farmshed kitchen
Farmshed’s Local Food Buying Club (LFBC)
The LFBC is a community initiative that enables people to purchase local produce in bulk with the option of processing those items in the Farmshed kitchen for long-term storage. The club’s intention is to inspire participation from people at all places on the food spectrum, and encourage individuals to learn from one another, share in the preservation experience, and eat nutritious, quality locally grown produce year round. The LFBC offers its members convenient access to local foods at a bulk price, but also provides a fair and guaranteed sale to small local diverse farms.
Club orders are placed with farmers in the winter ahead of the growing season, enabling the farmers to plan their production appropriately. LFBC members are then alerted throughout the growing season when certain items are ready for pick up at Farmshed.
Go ahead, become an LFBC member, strengthen community, stimulate the local food economy and enjoy local goodness through the winter!
*Special thanks to the Wisconsin Natural Food Associates for sponsoring the club’s 2015 pilot season. The 2016 season was supported by a Local Food Promotion Program grant from the UDSA. We are grateful for the assistance getting this project up and going.
2017 LFBC Member Timeline and Requirements
- 2017 order forms are available February 2nd.
- 2017 order forms are due with first payment (20%) February 27th.
- Second payments (40%) are due April 14th.
- Third payments (40%) are due May 26th.
- All LFBC members must have a current Central Rivers Farmshed Membership.
- All LFBC members must sign and return a 2017 LFBC Member Agreement.
- Checks made out to Farmshed is the preferred payment method. Checks can be delivered or mailed to Farmshed at 1220 Briggs Ct, Stevens Point, WI 54481. Cash payments will also be accepted if delivered in person.
- Keep an eye out for our emails as the growing season progresses! We will be alerting members when their orders can be picked up and sharing any additional bulk-price deals that come our way.
2017 Orders Now Closed
- Thank you to everyone who placed their order with the LFBC for the 2017 growing season.
2017 LFBC Member Handbook
Click here to view the LFBC Member Handbook! This resource will guide you through every part of the club including: agreements, participating farms, how to monitor and pick up orders, produce seasons, proper storage, kitchen use, contacts and more!
Participating Farms/Producers of the Local Food Buying Club
- View this resource to see which farms are providing products for the LFBC this year: LFBC Participating Farms
Become a Producer for the Local Food Buying Club!
- List in the Central Wisconsin Farm Fresh Atlas: It is required that all LFBC producers must be current listees in the Farm Fresh Atlas. Atlas applications are available every year at Farmshed and have applicable deadlines for participation.
- Fill out the “LFBC New Farm Application/ Waiting List”: Although the club is not actively seeking new producers at this time, we are in the process of developing a waiting list/application for interested farms that would like to work with us in future years! LFBC management will view the farms on this list to select producers and products as the club expands, and will contact those farms well in advance to the growing season.
- Complete your application here: LFBC New Farm Application/Waiting List
- Please be patient: Since the club has grown and evolved, club management has slowed taking on new producers for many reasons including meeting minimum bulk quantity requirements, providing respectable sized orders to farms, maintaining relationships with existing producers and effectively screening new producers. This has led us to slowly take on a select number of producers each year. Not all farms that apply will be able to participate.
Stay up to Date!
Check the Farmshed Calendar to view Local Food Buying Club events, meetings and more.
Get on the Local Food Buying Club emailing list to stay informed: email email@example.com with your name and contact information.
Questions or comments? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources for Buying Locally in Bulk
Check out these resources from Oregon State University-Extension to help you plan quantities for your bulk purchasing:
Year-round seasonal eating fun facts: